Sunday, July 1, 2018

June Wrap Up



Hello book lovers!

Today is the first of July and I want to take a moment to look back at June, what I read and which books were my favorites. I read 7 books in June, which is pretty good for me considering the fact that I only read 2 books in May. It was a good reading month.

In May I started reading A Wrinkle In Time, which I continued in June. I gave the book 4 stars because it wasn't as good as I expected, but at the same time, it was really good. When I read it I wasn't intrigued or longing to know what's to happen next. A Wrinkle In Time wasn't a book I read growing up and I did not even know it existed until I saw a Booktube video. Then I realized how popular it was and wanted to read it, especially when I found out that it was being turned into a movie. The book was great, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't phenomenal. I still haven't seen the movie, but I really want to.

Another book that I actually read during A Wrinkle In Time, as a break, was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It was a short and quick read and I enjoyed it. This story was different from anything I've ever read. I gave it 4 stars. I'm thinking about changing it to 3 stars because when I think about it the book is not amazing and I think the movie could be better. I still need to watch it though, so no promise.

My third read was Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. This is, without doubt, my favorite read of June. This book was amazing and after finishing it I wanted to read it again. It gave me intrigue, happiness, sadness, weirdness, important lessons, and love. I need to order Leah on the Off-beat because I want to get back into the world of Creekwood. I highly recommend this book. If you aren't following me on Instagram you probably don't know that I actually won tickets to the movie Love, Simon. I can't wait to go see it with my best friend. We decided to bring Oreos to eat during the film. A great decision, if you ask me. Oreos are great! Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda got 5 strong stars.

Then I started working at a warehouse and I did not read that much. Instead, I listened to audiobooks. The first one was Treasure Island. This is the classic pirate tale that inspired a bunch of other pirate tales. I love Pirates of the Caribbean and recognized the pirate song about rum that was repeatedly mentioned in the book. But the actual book was not in my taste. I even got a bit confused at times. It's a great story, but I think I prefer the modern adaptions more. I gave it 4 stars.

The book I read during work was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I read it before going to bed and then on the days, I listened to a different book. I loved Miss Peregrine and her children. The story itself was so special and I enjoyed it a lot. It took me longer than expected to finish this book, but I think the reason for that is that I was so tired from work that I came home, ate, watched a couple of episodes of a TV series and then went to bed haha. But it was a great book and yesterday, I watched the movie with was again amazing. I love this story and the setting and the plot. This is a series that I'm definitely continuing.

I also listened to One Plus One. Sometimes you just need a lighter read with romance in it. Of course, there were things going down in this book as well, but it wasn't the end of the world things and it was stuff that could happen to anyone basically. I loved this and gave it 5 stars.

The last book I read in June was Red Rising. I thought this was going to be epic and the idea itself really is, but I did not like it as much as I wanted to. I thought the book would turn out different and the surprise was not that positive. I liked that the characters were strong and all. In the beginning, I really liked the main character, because he stood up for himself, was a bit funny and reminded me a little of Katniss Everdeen. But as the book progressed I started to like him less. I did not like all of his actions and choices. I understand that he had to do some things in order to reach his goal, but I was still surprised in a bad way. I still liked the idea of a color system, instead of factions or districts. I gave it 4 stars.

If you think about it I only read 4-5 star books, which is great. I found some new favorites and liked most of my reads. I also enjoyed reading more this month than May. Sometimes I just do not want to pick up a book and that feels strange and I don't love the feeling, but I just have to not stress about it and try to read books that I enjoy, over books that I only pick up because of their popularity. This is something I need to work on. I want to find more books that haven't been talked about that much because I think it's a good idea to try to discover new reads. Just because no one knows it exists, doesn't mean that it isn't a phenomenal read.

I want to leave you with something I wrote a while ago.

Stop being the society's version of beautiful and start being your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment