Tuesday, July 3, 2018

The Selection | Book Review


More Information



Author: Kiera Cass

Pages: 336
My rating: 5/5 

“I hope you find someone you can't live without. I really do. And I hope you never have to know what it's like to have to try and live without them.” 


Goodreads Description 

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Review
Compared with The Hunger Games and The Bachelor, The Selection is an interesting story. When I picked this audiobook up, I did not think that I would enjoy it as much as I did. I thought it would be a bit shallow as if only the outside counted for Prince Maxon, but I could not be longer from the truth. Kiera Cass writes an excellent book that captures your interest at once. The characters are friendly and they develop as the story progresses, America, for example, discovers new things outside her low caste that she could never imagine and she learns that just because you're royal, does not mean that you have a perfect life. 

Some things in the plot were kind of expected and therefore not a surprise because I have seen it in other books. I can't go in too deep if I want to keep you unspoiled.  


I also loved the drama between the competing girls, as well as the friendship. It's easy to picture the characters in front of you, laughing or smiling. Kiera Cass has a very descriptive way of expressing herself and she leaves space for her characters to develop as the story progresses. The flaws in different character, not least America, makes them easier to relate to and therefore easier to love.


I do not have much more to say about this book, because  thoughts can be summarised in one sentence: I love it! It is a five-star read. It is entertaining and unique. When the voice in my ear suddenly told me that the book had ended I was at first surprised, even though I kind of felt that it was over, because the time passed by so fast when I listened to it and because it ended while I still had questions and while there still was a lot left of the story. But I guess that's what they call a series. You don't get the whole story in one book. I just have to read the next book to find out what happens, and I am very excited about that. 


Have a good day and an awesome summer!


Ps. I hope you know that all of my book reviews are spoiler-free unless I warn you about spoilers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment