Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Spook Week #3 | The Haunted Forest







































Happy Halloween! This week, I'm trying something new that I call "Spook Week." What it means is basically that each day of this week, I write a ghost story here on this blog. The story will either be true, meaning it's something that I or someone I know have gone through, or it's false, meaning I made it up. In my Instagram story (senseandbookibility) I'll do a poll each day, asking if the story of that day is true or false. Then, at the end of the day, I will let you know if the story was, in fact, true or false. Lastly, I just want to say that this is something I do for fun, both because I love ghost stories and because I love the engagement in the bookish community and I hope that this is something that you will enjoy as well. 

Let the third spooky story begin... 


The Haunted Forest
My friends and I had been discussing haunted places for a long time and really wanted to visit one on Halloween. We all love ghost stories and anything supernatural, so this was going to be amazing. 

On Halloween day, I started to pack my things. I needed supplies, like a flashlight, a blanket, some snacks, and a camera. I did not know how long we would stay, so I thought it was better so be prepared. I zipped the bag, got a message from a friend that the ride was here, and ran out to the car. Then, we drove to a forest. The haunted forest that we were headed to was said to drive people mad and the scream of these people can be heard deep in the forest. We did not truly believe in the supernatural. It was just something fun to do during the spooky season. 

We parked in front of the forest, grabbed our bags, and started walking. The forest was big and the leaves had already fallen off most of the trees. There was still daylight outside, which made it look like a completely normal forest. I kept a small distance from my friends for a while, just to breath this forest in and try to feel if it's really haunted. I did not know what I was doing, of course, but I liked to pretend that I knew these things. 

I looked at the tree crowns and noticed that it was getting dark already. Then, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I tensed and slowly turned around. A friend started laughing at how scared I looked and took away the hand. We continued to scare each other and laugh on the way to wherever we were heading. 

We were starting to get pretty deep into the forest now. The wind was getting colder and the night was getting closer. We picked a place to sit down for a while. I put my giant blanket on the ground and we sat in quiet, just listening. The dark really made the forest look different than it had before. I was starting to get creeped out by the feeling of being here. My head had started to ache and I was very tired. We didn't want to sleep here, so we decided to walk some more. We were pretty disappointed that nothing had happened but started walking back to the car anyway. This time, I was in the back, walking behind everyone. I felt a cold wind passing by and I tried to warm my hands by rubbing them together. All that could be heard was the crunching of leaves and mud under our feet and the wind grabbing the trees in a dance. Suddenly, a chill ran through me and I froze. I didn't know if I imagined it or not, but I heard a scream. It wasn't loud, but soft instead, and far away. I looked at my friends, that kept walking, and decided that I had just imagined it. 

The distance between us and the car was getting smaller and I felt relieved by the thought of leaving this place. Nothing had really happened, except for the feeling of not being allowed to walk in that forest, the chilly wind, and my imagined scream. 

When we got home, my friends started talking again and it was only then that I first realized how quiet they had been before. They explained that they had gotten the feeling of not being wanted there and one of them claimed to have heard a scream. I didn't know what to believe. I came up with the reasonable explanation that the situation might have caused us to imagine things that weren't real. There was only one thing I was sure of though, to never go back into that forest ever again in order to find out.



Photo by Jack Cain on Unsplash


No comments:

Post a Comment